Feedback Thoughts

The first article that I read was, "Why It's So Hard to Hear Negative Feedback" by Tim Herrera. All of the points he made about why we go out of our way to avoid people who give negative critiques about our work - it seems personal in the way that we tell it nowadays, like we're almost attacking the intelligence/ability of whoever is being critiqued. It's natural for a person to defend themselves/their work, and I agree that if we want to change this mindset, we need to learn how to give feedback in a positively framed manner. For me to place feedback in a manner that is self-reflective, realizing that whoever is giving that info is doing it for a good reason, not just to insult. Overall, I've never had a huge problem when it comes to negative feedback relating to academics - there's always new to learn, and I love hearing different opinions/viewpoints over what I previously thought I was doing well in.

The next article that I read was over the speech that the legendary comic writer, Neil Gaiman gave at Philadelphia's University of Arts. The article, "Make Good Art: Neil Gaiman's Advice on the Creative Life, Adapted by Design Legend Chip Kidd" written by Maria Popova goes into detail on how if you're not making mistakes, you're not really trying. Good art comes out of loss/making mistakes - when you realize what you've done "wrong" in the artistic/academic sense, you're bettering yourself. Making mistakes is what life is about - how does someone learn and grow if they're supposedly never wrong. If they never change their mindset about what they are doing, what is the point of doing it at all - staying the exact same isn't how art works. It evolves alongside the artist. I believe mistakes are integral for academic success and have absolutely no problems with them being pointed out to me.

My mistakes help me grow.
Meme created by Laura Gibbs
Image taken from Cheezburger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Andrew

Week 3 Story: Justice