Topic Brainstorm

The first topic that I looked into was the mythological creature called a changeling. I first heard about this type of creature through the kids book series, "The Spiderwick Chronicles" which sparked my interest in all things related to fairies/ogres/trolls. Changelings in particular always fascinated me - swapping out a human child for some older looking fairy is crazy. Thinking how the parents would react, seeing it in action within the comic book, "Hellboy" when the main hero is called upon to check out an "unusual" child that the parents had been dealing with for the past few weeks. Overall, I think this would be one of the better topics that one could choose for the storybook project - there are tons of different ways that this could be told in modern/historical contexts.

The next topic that I looked into was on the Wikipedia page over the vengeful Japanese ghosts called "Onryo". I've never heard this name before, but I've had a tad bit of experience reading/seeing these types of spirits. "The Grudge" is one such movie that I've seen that literally has an angry, highly vengeful spirit that haunts a house. Going further with this, I've read some Japanese Noh plays that involved such spirits, espescially since those plays are based completely upon tradition are previously told folk stories. The type of story that I would tell with this would most likely take place in feudal Japan with the Samuri that rode around during that time. Seeing some tough, maybe corrupt Samuri take responsibility for his actions because of a spirit would be interesting to me, especially because it seems like they have some pretty powerful abilities that they have at their disposal.

Urban legends (particularly from Texas) have always sent chills up my spine. So, naturally, this would be a great topic to retell or set in a different (maybe Oklahoman) setting. I first heard about these types of stories from my dad, who would tell them to my sister and I when we were younger. He eventually got me a book called, "Weird Texas" that had a bunch of different ghost/urban legend stories (along with weird/cool locations throughout Texas) in it. I would maybe tell these stories with a bit more of a humorous light to make them a tad bit less scary, maybe adding lessons to the stories since most of them are meant to scare.

Finally, the one that I would say I know the least about (within these four topics) are seamonsters. I think almost everyone has some degree of thalassaphobia, which is the fear of large, open bodies of water. We still haven't fully explored the ocean (and probably never will) so it's fun to imagine what creatures still lurk down there in the darkness where man dare not go. Of course I've heard of the Kraken/creatures like that, but I think it would be very cool to look into more specific monsters, especially with countries who are coastal. From African to Indian stories, I think any type regarding a huge sea monster would be interesting to read for most people. Maybe a good retelling would involved the capture/hunt for a creature that many people had filmed on their phones - from an Ahab-like perspective.

Post image
Sea Monster by Rii2N




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Andrew

Week 3 Story: Justice