Wikipedia Trail: Divine Comedy to Catholic Emancipation


For this week’s Wikipedia Trail, I decided to start with the Wikipedia page, “Divine Comedy” in order to get more background information upon the story that I read this week. I’ve always wanted to more detail within the story, which the summary provided through Wikipedia provided. The long poem, itself, is somewhat unwieldy to read, so getting a clearer picture through this was definitely nice.

The next page that I was led to was, “Seven deadly sins” which I have always found interesting. Part of the reason why is because so many stories that I’ve read have personified these sins, making them stand out even more. I’m not sure which one of them I find to be the worst – probably wrath since murder is pretty terrible. It was really cool seeing how old the ideas of the sins are – being from way before Dante’s time really puts a perspective on how old some of Christianity’s beliefs are.

The third page that I stumbled upon was, “Edmund Burke”. I just randomly clicked on his name when I saw a cool quote that he spoke, “No man, who is not inflamed by vain-glory into enthusiasm, can flatter himself that his single, unsupported desultory, unsystematic endeavors are of power to defeat the subtle designs and united Cabals of ambitious citizens.” According to wiki, Burke was a big proponent of having manners and good virtues within society, especially how churches can point people in the appropriate moral direction. To me, it is always crazy seeing how old idea are still highly relevant to today’s society.

Finally, the last page that I visited was, “Catholic Emancipation” since Edmund Burke was in favor of it. I feel like I’ve learned about this before. Basically it was an effort in Great Britain to remove a bunch of restrictions that the Catholic church had within the country. Removal of the Test Acts and the penal laws were heavily pushed for since the Catholic church had some issues with Great Britain in the past, especially since other enemy European countries tried using it in the past as a weapon of sorts to control the British people/monarchy.


"Paradiso, Canto III: Dante speak to Piccarda and Constance of Sicily"
By Philipp Veit

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Andrew

Week 3 Story: Justice